There's something about the smell of rosemary, simmering on a stovetop, that instantly transports me to cozy memories of cold-weather gatherings and warm meals with friends and family.
In this recipe, we wanted to bring that spirit to life, in a classic, simplistic and minimal way – perfect for packing up and taking on the road this fall or holiday season. All you need is a cast iron skillet, a small cooler and a grill (or open flame). This meal checks all the boxes: healthy, easy, full of flavor, and you can make it just about anywhere.
Cast Iron Skillet Rosemary Chicken
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– 1 sprig rosemary
– 1 sprig thyme
– Skin-on, bone-in chicken breast
– Small bundle asparagus
– Turn grill on medium heat.
– Add olive oil to cast iron along with rosemary.
– Sauté 2-3 minutes
– Add seasoned chicken breast to skillet, and use spoon to baste with oil and herbs.
– Cook until brown, about 12 minutes, then turn over.
– Use spoon to baste oil and herbs on other side.
– While chicken cooks, flash cook the asparagus in same cast iron.
– Salt and pepper to taste.
– Plate and enjoy!
More Camp Cooking Content from ASN