Bummed that summer's over? We are, too.
But as you slide into the shorter days of fall, these delicious cocktails, each incorporating different warming flavors (read: coffee, Jäger, whiskey and red wine) are guaranteed to help you get the most out of the season.
This is our go-to fall cocktail. It's got the dark, rich flavor notes that we associate with the most sacred of morning beverage rituals, as well as the body and soul warming feeling that only whiskey can provide. We used decaf coffee in this recipe but feel free to kick things up a notch by using the real deal. Make this once, and we bet you’ll want to make it again and again.
– 1 tbs of fresh ground coffee
– 2 oz hot water
– 1 tsp honey
– 3 cherries
– 2 oz whiskey
– Grind your coffee beans and put coffee in a drip filter.
– Slowly pour the hot water over top the grounds.
– When you're finished brewing, mix in the honey to the hot coffee until dissolved.
– Let the coffee and honey cool to room temperature.
– Muddle the cherries in a cocktail tumbler.
– Add the coffee-honey mixture and whiskey to the tumbler.
– Add a cup of ice and shake.
– Strain into a glass and enjoy.
If citrus, bitters and Jäger made a baby…
– 2 oz Jäger
– 3 oz fresh squeezed mandarin juice (4 mandarins)
– ½ oz syrup
– 3 dashes grapefruit bitters
– Put the juice from the mandarins in a glass.
– Add the honey and grapefruit bitters.
– Stir until honey dissolves.
– Fill with ice.
– Slowly pour in the Jäger so that it floats on top.
– Serve with a twist of mandarin peel.
This drink doesn't require ice which is great for van life. In fact, we recommend drinking it at room temperature. It's perfect for those fall days when the last thing you want is to add to the outside chill. In addition, it can also easily be made into a larger batch, perfect for when you're having friends over. Campfire drinks, anyone?
– 3.5 ounces red wine
– 2 ounces whiskey
– ½ ounce lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
– ½ ounce honey
– Pour all the ingredients together into the glass.
– Stir and enjoy.
Erin McGrady and Caroline Whatley are based in Asheville, North Carolina, but are currently traveling the country in their van. You can follow along with their adventures at Authentic Asheville.
More Adventure Cocktail Recipes from ASN