Oakley has teamed up with Toyota Motor Sales, USA Inc (TMS) to present the Oakley Surf Tacoma. The customized vehicle was created to serve as ‘a surfer’s dream station,’ and will make appearances at sporting events across the country, including The US Open of Surfing, and the Oakley Surf Shop Challenge.
Oakley’s global surf manager Ronny Nelson explained, "with a barbeque grill; ice chest; 30 gallon bladder full of fresh water for showers or drinking; onboard compressor so you can deflate the tires and drive through deep sand, then when you get back on the road, you can blow the tires back up (then use the tool to blow away sand and debris); full off-road lights to drive at any time of the night in any kind of darkness on any terrain; epic stereo system and TV; a converter for our videographers and photographers to charge their batteries while they're filming the team all day long in the field; overhead rack system for attaching multiple surfboards; pull out awning to make shade; and Wet Okole neoprene waterproof seats so you can get in with wet boardshorts and not have to worry about ruining your chairs or getting that funky stink – the features are just amazing. We're just stoked on the fact that our riders can be serviced to the fullest by our own truck."
For more on this unique vehicle, read on:
Foothill Ranch, Calif. (June 6, 2012) –The truck will drop into action on major swell-chasing trips and at contests as a means of transportation, pre-heat preparation and post-event activities. It will also make special appearances at various sports events throughout North America.
"We're honored to have the support of one of the world's leaders in motorsports and consumer vehicles," said Patrick McIlvain, Oakley's vice president of global sports marketing.
"The surfing lifestyle-friendly design of the Toyota Tacoma truck, coupled with our world-class pro surf program, was a natural fit, and we couldn't be more stoked on the incredible custom features the Oakley Tacoma carries to support our athletes."
"It's the ultimate surf truck for a Baja (Mexico) Surf Trip," added Ronny Nelson, Oakley's global surf manager.
Aside from the specially designed amenities featured on the branded Oakley Surf Truck, the Tacoma's original design was identified as a solid fit for surfers and their lifestyle needs. From the vehicle's dimensions to allow for easier parking in bustling coastal cities to its many options available to consumers, the Tacoma was chosen for its overall appeal to swell-chasers far and wide.
"We're pleased to outfit the Oakley surf team with this customized Tacoma, fully equipped with all the features needed for the ultimate surf trip," said Jim Baudino, engagement marketing manager, Toyota. "We're excited to hear more about their adventures."
Follow the #OakleySurfTacoma
Surfers, Oakley fans, Toyota fans and the general public may follow the Oakley Surf Truck on its many coming adventures with the Oakley Surf Team by following #OakleySurfTacoma on Twitter.
The vehicle, in addition to servicing pro riders at contests, will be engaged in a variety of activities throughout the summer and beyond, including, but not limited to
• Hurricane Chase: June 1 – Oct. 15 – The Oakley Surf Program will constantly track Hurricanes/weather systems throughout the continental United States and Baja California, Mexico – then chase any resulting swells with the Oakley Surf Truck.
• Baja Run: June 1 – Oct. 15 – Oakley Surf Team Riders will embark on a raucous romp through Baja California, Mexico – off-roading and finding new breaks to surf from just south of Tijuana, all the way down to Cabo San Lucas.
• Off-Road: July 1 – Aug. 25 – With the Tacoma's off-road capabilities, the Oakley Surf Team will charge various dirt locations such as Glamis and Pismo Beach in California.
The Oakley Surf Truck will also make appearances at various sports events such as:
• Oakley Surf Shop Challenge: Apr. – Aug. – Multiple stops throughout the United States
• The Pro Junior Circuit: June – Sept.
• The U.S. Open of Surfing: July 28 – Aug. 5
• Hurley Pro at Trestles: Lower Trestles, Calif. – Sept. 15 – 23
• Monster Energy Supercross: Anaheim 1 – Jan. 5