If you weren’t in Argentina this summer, you blew it. Plain and simple. This winter in the Southern Hemi was one of the best to date with endless pow and incredible conditions. Robin Van Gyn and Erin Comstock got in on the goods and hosting their own signature Roxy Women’s session at SGT: Argentina.
Read on for their top 10 moments in Argentina.
Words: Robin Van Gyn
There are not many places that I would take four days of travel to get to, but Bariloche, Argentina is one of them.
Yes, it took us 4 days, but once we got there we totally forgot about the travel hell and immediately starting riding pow and soaking in the SGT hot pool with old friends. Stoked that SGT invited Erin and I back for the Roxy Women’s Session this year, and we did our best to pack in as much as we could in our 2 week stint at Cerro Catedral.
We rode a lot of powder, hiked our butts off, ate a lot of meat and hyped the Roxy session with a signature parilla dinner and a girls snowboard video premiere at Mute featuring Peep Show’s “Winter Wars” and Standard Films “The Storming”. It took another 3 days of traveling to get home, and I acquired “the funk,” but I still cant wait to get back to SGT: Argentina next year.
Here are my top ten moments:
1. Getting to lie down in a bed after 4 days of travel at SGT headquarters.
2. Hopping into “Man Soup” (the hot tub) to balance the ph and to get aquatinted with the staff and the camp gossip.
3. Going on a sneaky jib mission to the junk yard with Erin and Ben Girardi (Sir Lands-a-lot) to get some shots for the 2012/13 Roxy Catalog. Ben might be the most mellow photog I have ever worked with and always gets the shot.
4. Hosting the SGT girls at a Roxy dinner at Rodeo. Best freaking meat ever: Medalions de Bife, Ojo de Bife, Morcilla, Chorizo, Cerdo. You might not know what that is now, but trust me if you ever got to Argentina and go out for Parilla, just order whats listed here.
5. Waking up to two feet of fresh outside our window. Crazy powder day. No one was on the mountain and we got untracked turns till the last run of the day. Also riding powder with girls who have never experienced anything like it was really rewarding. Those smiles weren’t wiped for days!
6. The day after the major dump and getting up to Laguna for first tracks of the upper bowl. It took an hour to break trail up there, but it was totally worth it.
7. Cooking dinner with Niki Shleckta and Erin in the kitchen of the mountain night club (Mute) at 12am. It was interesting… we had Milanesa and pasta, seemed delicious at the time.
8. Doing a “Winter Wars” premier at Mute with the help of our friend Sabrina (orchestrater of Chicas Only). It was wild to say the least, it definately helped that there was free champagne.
9. Giving away a Roxy Ally to a very deserving Argentine…she was crying, it was awesome.
10. Starting the countdown to next year at SGT once I arrived on home soil. Best two weeks of the summer, hands down. 361 days to go!
Erin Comstock’s Top Ten Moments:
1. Being invited back to SGT for a Roxy session.
2. Having 8 camper girls show up and showing them an awesome time!Including a sweet Roxy dinner!
3. Winning the Billabong Big Air Contest
4. Not making any money at the Billabong Big Air because I am female. Yes, they paid up to the top 10 Men! (but not Erin!)
5. Working with Ben Girardi and Robin Van Gyn to get 2013 action shots for the Roxy Catalog. It was the best Catalog shoot ever. No stress and Robin is awesome to ride with!
6, Having the best powder day ever down there. Riding from 9:30 till 3 with no tracks! I missed that last year when I went because I was fresh out of shoulder surgery. This year was awesome!
7. Making my first ever split-board! Still have not used it but I definitely will this winter!
8. Watching the majority of the girls shred powder for the first time.
9.Eating a lot of meat! I love the asados down in Argentina!
10. Having an all girl video premiere at Mute. We showed Peep Show’s “Winter Wars” and Standard’s “The Storming.” It was crazy to see how into the movies everyone was. They had never scene women ride that well! And We gave away a Roxy snowboard to an Argentine and she was the happiest girl I have ever seen!
It made the whole trip worth it to see the smiles on the girls faces! Can’t wait for next year!