After trying out trunk and hitch mount bike racks for years I switched to the roof rack system and I couldn’t be happier. Yakima’s roof racks are simple to use once you read the instructions and understand the various working parts of the rack including the bars, clips, feet/towers, and trays.
I had been using the Yakima Raptor trays for a few years and had good results with them. However, they took a little long to load up your bike and tighten it down. It also clamped down on the downtube and often scuffed the frame. The new High Roller trays eliminate both of those problems. The High Roller is Yakima’s top-of-the-line roof rack tray and is probably the quickest and easiest way to secure your bike to the roof of your car. Since the only thing that touches the rack is your wheels, you don’t have to worry about scuffing your frame. And tightening the bike down literally takes just a few seconds with barely any work. And taking it down is just as fast and easy too. I’m really happy with the Yakima rack and would definitely recommend it to anyone that has the budget and need for a roof rack.
The Yakima roof rack system I’m running consists of two High Roller trays and one Raptor tray. After piecing together the bars, towers, trays, clips, and locks, the entire setup retails for around $550. This is on the expensive end of bike racks, but if you are serious about traveling with your bike, several people, and other luggage and gear, this is a smart investment.
Yakima High Roller Manufacturer Specs:
This is Yakima ‘s premier upright bike mount. It keeps the widest range of bikes safe and secure, without requiring you to remove the front wheel. It's easy to use, easy on your bike, and in case you haven't noticed, it's pretty dang easy on the eyes, too.
– Keeps your paint job looking pretty because it grabs onto your wheel and doesn't touch the painted surfaces of your bike
– Fits most tire sizes, from super-skinny road tires to big bad 3 inchers
– Fits bikes with wheels from 20" to 29" in diameter
– One easy-to-reach knob controls retention, adjustment and release
– Super-strong wheel tray can hold anything from monster freeride bikes to girly bikes with tassels on the handlebars
– No problem handling disc brakes, thru axles, or funky suspension designs
– Premium finish gives it that sweet, big-money look
– Integrated SKS cable lock for no-worry security (CORE SOLD SEPARATELY)
– Easy to adjust sliding wheel tray makes positioning rear wheel a breeze and fits a wide range of bike lengths (except tandems and recumbents)
– Double-sided wheel strap for use on either side of your car
– Fits round and square crossbars
– Factory rack-compatible with Universal MightyMounts or MightyMounts (SOLD SEPARATELY)
Check out the Yakima site for a video about the High Roller.