Text by Brien Kielb
Six years is a long time to have a signature frame in these fast-paced, tumultuous times in BMX, but if you earned that frame at the beginning of your adolescence and have continued to push the envelope with each passing year while racking up thousands of Instagram followers, I'd say that there's a good reason why your frame is still in production.
Colony's Alex Hiam was christened with the Sweet Tooth frame way back in 2009, and as his height & trick list grew, so did his bike. Originally designed for kids looking to make the jump to 20" wheels, the 2016 Sweet Tooth is still available in a 19.8" top tube, but longer options are also available now that Alex is long past pint size and can now legally consume pints (in his home country of Australia, at least). Constructed from full 4130 chromoly, the frame has your standard features: integrated head tube, heat-treated 14mm dropouts, removable brake mounts, mid bottom bracket and a wide rear end for fat ass 2.4" tires. What it does have that many other frames these days don't is a low, low standover of 7.5". Have you seen some of the whip variations Alex has in his bag of tricks? That dropped TT keeps the bike out of his way and makes finding the pedals after a bar-to-whip that much easier. Other unique features include investment-cast Colony brake tabs, tapered down tube, top tube and rear stays, and a built-in seat clamp.
2016 seemingly brings an end to the popularity of rainbow/oil slick parts, and the Sweet Tooth has phased out that dip as well. New graphics adorn the newest version, and the most recent colors include Midnight Blue, ED green and trend-proof gloss black. Colony frames, components and complete bikes are available wherever better BMX products can be found, and follow Alex on his current Californian adventures, hit up @alexhiam on IG.
Hit up colonybmx.com.au for more info on Alex Hiam, the Sweet Tooth frame, and everything else Colony!
- Alex Hiam 2016 Signature Frame
- Full 4130 CrMo frame.
- Heat treated integrated head tube, MID BB and 5mm thick CNC machined dropouts with 14mm slots.
- Tapered down tube, top tube & rear stays.
- External Gusset on tapered DT tubing
- Wider rear end for fatter 2.4" tyres.
- Built-in seat clamp with replaceable nut & bolt.
- Removable brake mounts & hardware.
- Unique & exclusive invest cast removable Colony brake tabs.
- Sizes: 19.8", 20.4", 20.7" TT.
- 13.25" rear, 75.2º HA, 71º ST.
- 11.5" BB Height.
- Stand over height 7.5" (center of BB shell to center of TT)
- Weight: 20.4" version 5.17 lbs (2,347 grams).
- Comes in Gloss Black, ED Green, & Midnight Blue.
- Note: We do not recommend or warrant the use of lower dual cable systems on our frames. Use only two into one cable systems.